Thursday, May 10, 2007

Debian gets feisty

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my Debian box to Ubuntu feisty. The upgrade went ok, though today I found that my machine was having some issues and needed to be restarted. This is all fine and good except that I learned that the root filesystem is selected differently in feisty than it is in Debian.

Feisty wants to mount by UUID and my old upgraded Debian system wanted none of it. It had a kernel panic.

The fix?

I changed /etc/grub/grub.conf from root=UUID={...} to root=/dev/sda5.

I can't say I'm surprised. I've been a Debian user for coming up on 9 years. If I wasn't so comfortable with it I probably wouldn't have attempted the upgrade just because I know something is likely to go wrong when converting between distributions that just happen to use the same package manager.

Lets remember that this upgraded from a kernel I compiled myself with lilo as my boot loader. Ubuntu installed its own kernel and it uses grub unless you really have an opinion on the matter.

All told it was only a 15 minute fix and that's how I learned a valuable lesson.

Shaun

No comments: