Thursday, April 06, 2006

Real RAID

Have you ever been in a position where you might loose data and bits that are very important to you? When I was shutting down my Linux box for moving I found a kernel message saying there was an IDE bus reset due to a command timeout. I'm sure most people who read this will respond with something like "and your point is?". Basically, it's one of the warning signs that my disk might not want to be a disk anymore. It was thinking along the lines of paperweight...

I took swift action and thought about it for a month. I then ordered a 3ware RAID card and 2 120GB IDE drives and I will live in the happy land of RAID 1 Mirroring. This means that if one of my drives decides to go paperweight on me I'll still have my data.

The disk that I'm worried about has my CVS archive of all my interesting work I've done in the past. I don't know if I'll ever reuse the code, but I would like the option... It begs the question: How much do you care about your data?

Shaun

No comments: