Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Lappy shows its age...

My laptop's hostname is Lappy486. It has served me well for a while, but aparently the power adapter plug has issues on this model. Sunday I opened it up to see what was wrong with it.
You can't see it in this picture, but the solder connection on the little power board has gone bad.

I got out the soldering iron and tried to fix it, but it doesn't look like the metal wants to bond with the solder.On the upside this is aparently a known issue with Averatec 3200 series laptops and they will still fix it for free on machines that are out of warranty. The downside is that they won't just send you the part so you can fix it yourself.

I'm going to have to say goodbye to my old friend the lappy for a little while so it can get fixed. It's going to have to be soon. The RMA number is only good for 30 days.

Shaun

No comments: