Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Wars and real freedom

I know this is more Bob's department, but I thought I'd share the transcript of a funny text based adventure I found today. Here is the adventure text. It goes through all the stages of Bush's presidency and as I said, it's pretty funny.

All funny stuff aside, I must say I don't much care for the war. I had a friend who was over there doing army intelligence. He had is tour of duty and is now back in the states in a domestic assignment. While he was gone I thought it was a severe shame that he had to put his life in any kind of danger.

Please, don't misunderstand me. I know this can sound like I just don't like war as a matter of being lazy. I just want to know what the motive really are and the more I read, the more I doubt that our involvement is meant to pull down oppression and stop people from killing each other. In the case of the second link, I can't help but wonder if our leaders want us to have casualties as that keeps giving us reasons to stay. Disciplinary action for when a soldier buys what he considers to be better armor is ridiculous, yet that seems to be the case. Yes, there are people in Iraq that want us there, and there are those that are shooting us. I just wish we could offer to take the ones who want to live in peace with us and leave the rest to kill each other. It is nearly impossible to stop people from killing one another once they have decided that's what they want to do. Or is that unreasonable?

Someday this empire of ours will fall, I can live with that. I just hope that I can band together with people that want to maintain peace and order among themselves if it happens in my life time, which I hope it doesn't. The real question I think we all need to ask ourselves is "Whose side am I on and what am I fighting for?".

For me, I know what side I want to be on. I want to be on the Lord's side. And what I want to fight for is freedom from oppression and personal sin. You can have all the liberty in the world, but you will never be happy in the bondage of sin. At the same time, you can be oppressed by your fellow man and your government but be happy and at peace knowing that you are free from sin to choose your actions with a clear conscience before God.

That second option sounds nice, I hope I can get there someday.

Shaun

No comments: